|With 105 cosponsors, House Resolution 298 (the RAISE Resolution) has plenty of support. Thanks to all of your efforts, RAISE has come a very long way. However, your work is not yet done. The bill still needs to be released from committee before it can be voted on and passed. The Epilepsy Foundation needs every advocate to do all that they can to reach out to Congress and push RAISE over the top.
This is our final push for the RAISE as time is running short on our goal to get this important legislation passed by the end of the year. When Congress returns, there will be plenty of people vying for its attention, which is why it is so important that we make our voices heard and our representatives understand how crucial epilepsy awareness is to the epilepsy community.
The House returns from its recess on Tuesday, November 13th. When they return, they will only have 16 work days to address all of their business. Please contact your representative today! If they are already a cosponsor, ask them to urge house leadership to send House Resolution 298 to the floor for a vote. If they are not a cosponsor, share your personal story and views about the importance of epilepsy awareness to your community and this country.
Now, more than ever, we need Congress to take epilepsy awareness seriously. We need our representatives to know that passing House Resolution 298, will greatly improve the lives of the millions of people in this country living with epilepsy. Please call, email, facebook, tweet and/or visit your representative and ensure that the RAISE Resolution is passed by the end of the year.
When Calling Your Representative:
- Dial the number for the U.S. Capitol Switchboard (202) 224-3121, ask to be connected with the office of your representative.
- Once connected to the office, let the person on the phone know that you are a constituent. Ask to speak with the Health Legislative Assistant. If they ask why you are calling, tell them you are calling about House Resolution 298.
- Once connected to the Health LA, give your name and address.
- Tell them that you are calling to ask the representative to support House Resolution 298 by urging that it be brought to the floor for a vote and for the representative to vote for the resolution once it is brought to the floor.
- Feel free to share a personal story (if you have one) about your connection to epilepsy and why epilepsy awareness means so much to you.
- Also feel free to refer to the talking points below during your call.
- The resolution asks for no additional money, only a greater effort by the federal government to coordinate the use of epilepsy awareness and educational programs that have already been created.
- H. Res 298 has the bipartisan support of 105 cosponsors.
- There are nearly 3 million people in the U.S. live with epilepsy.
- 1 in 26 people will develop epilepsy during some part of their life.
- 1 in 10 people have had a seizure.
- There are 150,000 new cases of epilepsy every year.